VISION / MISSION
To become a world-class Customs service that fully reflects national and international standards and best practices, in contributing to border protection and trade facilitation.
To guard and protect the Maldives national borders from smuggling of narcotics, contrabands and against other illegal cross-border activities, by steadfastly enforcing the laws of the Maldives while fostering economic security through facilitation of legitimate trade and travel.
- To monitor and control the movement of passengers, goods and conveyances arriving in and departing from the Republic of Maldives.
- To administer all functions relating to import and export.
- To protect and efficiently collect customs revenue.
- To protect the community and ensuring compliance with Maldivian law.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assess and collect import and export duties.
- Intercept and seize, contraband, illicit drugs, firearms and other prohibited items and control restricted items.
- Processing passengers, luggage, cargo and overseas mail-delivered articles.
- Act as agents for various government organizations in the controlling of the movements of persons and goods entering and leaving the Maldives.
- Detect and deter import and export-related fraud.
- Control and monitor the movements of embarking/disembarking persons and loading/unloading of goods in relation to air/sea conveyances arriving from/leaving to overseas destinations and while such conveyances are at anchor parked or in transit parked or in transit to local ports.
- Control & monitor bonded warehouses and duty-free establishments.
- Compile and maintain imports and exports statistics.
HEEDING the Government of Maldives call for providing friendly and customer oriented service by the public sector;
REMINDING ourselves of our Vision and Mission;
HONOURING our Code of Conduct;
DERIVING inspiration from the responsibility we discharge
and the work we do;
RECOGNIZING the need to abide by a set of standards
in serving our clients;
APPRECIATING the relevance of such standards to the
responsibility we discharge and the work we do;
RENEWING our commitment to being friendly and customer oriented
in all our service areas;
WE, the Maldives Customs Service, agree to be bound by the following
Standards of Service that we have created and imposed upon ourselves.
As an organization, we undertake
- To always act within laws and regulations;
- To provide easy to follow customs procedures;
- To facilitate compliance with procedures and guidelines;
- To involve clients interests in rule and decision making processes; and;
- To maintain transparency and consistency in its dealings.
- To serve with integrity and without delay;
- To deal with clients, with courtesy and respect;
- To respond to clients needs with understanding and professionalism;
- To guide clients in matters of compliance and procedure;
- To explain rules and procedures with clarity and consistency;
- To offer assistance with care and dedication
- To apologize for shortcomings with sincerity and politeness; and
- To continue to improve compliance with performance targets truly and faithfully.
We request you, as our Client
As an organization, we undertake
- To always provide us sufficient and accurate information, so that we may comply in full with these Standards.
- To monitor our performance and delivery;
- To submit feedback and complaints;
- To remind us of our short comings;
- To suggest ways of enhancing our service; and
- To share your experiences and ideas with us.
- To treat your feedbacks and complaints confidentially;
- To welcome your experiences and ideas;
- To keep improving ourselves and our services;